Suggested baseline questionnaire
This questionnaire or survey can be used to identify and map institutional and individual staff/volunteer skills when creating a digital community of practice (DCoP). It could also be used to identify digital training needs. It is one of a set of related resources:
- This ‘how to guide’ takes you through the process of setting up a digital community of practice.
- This case study outlines how this process worked at Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales and how it could be adapted to suit your situation.
- This digital community of practice email invitation template could be adapted to explain the benefits of this group to potential participants and form an introduction to the survey.
- This sample evaluation form can be used regularly to establish how useful participants are finding the digital community of practice and to steer the direction of the network.
Sample questions to ask or adapt to suit your situation:
- Are there specific areas where you think you/your staff/volunteers are confident/excelling in their use of technology? Please give details.
- Do you/your staff/volunteers use technology to collaborate/ work together with any other departments, museums or cultural institutions? Please give details.
- How aware are you/your staff/volunteers of how digital tools are used in other departments, museums or cultural institutions? Please give details.
- How effective do you feel your department’s/museum’s work is in meeting the needs of users?
- Do you measure success using Key Performance Indicators? If not, how do you measure it? Please give details.
- How are decisions regarding digital initiatives made? Are you aware of strategies guiding decision making?
- Are there specific areas where you think you/your staff/volunteers need more training/would benefit from being better informed? Please give details.
- Do you/your staff/volunteers have any digital skills or knowledge aside from those used in the role at this museum/setting? This could be something gained in previous employment or used in a personal capacity. It could include being active on a particular social media platform, running a blog, playing certain computer games or using a particular software. Please give details of anything you/your staff/volunteers are happy to share with others.